Fremont Providence Christian closing doors after 11 years, MHSAA grants immediate eligibility for Storm athletes

By Jim Goorman
Local Sports Journal

After a society meeting held Wednesday evening, the Fremont Providence Christian High School school board came to the decision to close its doors after 11 years of operation.

There were 174 supporters who came to discuss what would be best for the school after its enrollment for 2013-14 is listed as 46 students. The discomforting fact which enabled this decision was that only 3 freshmen had enrolled this year.

Ken Wolffis, board president, stated that the decision was partly based on finances, which at the beginning of the year was quite solid, would become more difficult as the year progressed.

“The society and board felt it was important that the students could transfer to other schools to begin activities there before the year progressed too far,” said Wolffis.

The MHSAA has granted all students immediate eligibility rights because of the closing of the school’s doors during this school year.

Last year Providence senior Nick VanderKooi represented the school at the state finals in track and won the 1600 meter.

Wolffis’s daughter, Becca, finished her track season as a junior last year by finishing 10th at state in the 1600 meters. Her dad says she now has the difficult decision like the other 45 students to find a school in the area which is compatible for her.  Not an easy matter to decide for a 17-year-old student.

The school’s last official day will be Friday, Sept. 13.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *