The Muskegon Catholic Central football team made history in late November by winning its fourth consecutive Division 8 state title.
The Muskegon Big Reds also made big news by qualifying for the state football finals for the fourth time in five years. Thousands of Muskegon area fans made the trek to Detroit’s Ford Field on Thanksgiving weekend to watch the two local high school squads compete for state honors.
The football finals, and the impressive accomplishments of the Crusaders and Big Reds, are the featured stories in the December edition of the Local Sports Journal magazine, which is available for free at various local restaurants and retail stores.
The December magazine also includes a profile of the West Michigan Lake Hawks, Muskegon’s ABA basketball franchise, as well as the touching story of how former Mona Shores standout athlete Elijah Wilson bid a sad goodbye to the grandmother who raised him after the tragic death of his mother.
The December edition of the Local Sports Journal magazine can be picked up at the local establishments listed below. You can also order a free email version of the monthly magazine by visiting
– Greek Tony’s on Sherman
– Norton Mini Mart
– Jack’s convenient stores (Old Grand Haven Rd. and Apple Ave.)
– Sprint in Lakes Mall
– Plumbs Markets (North Muskegon, Apple Ave. and Whitehall)
– Meijer gas station on Norton Ave.
– Drop Drop Drink (Downtown Muskegon)
– Carmen’s Cafe
– Herbies Cafe
– Laketon Mart (2110 Evanston Ave)
– Orchard Market (Spring Lake)
– Whitehall Admiral (1007 E Colby St; Hall St; 130 W State St).
– Scottville Admiral (Reinburg Ave)
– Montague Foods (8718 Water Street)