RAVENNA– Ravenna dropped its season opener 22-21 Friday in a non-conference game against Beal City. 

The Bulldogs and Aggies first played each other in last year’s season opener, when Ravenna held off a late-game Beal City comeback to win 21-20. This time around, the Bulldogs were unable to close out the victory in come-from-behind fashion.

Ravenna found success early by attacking the edges on offense. Quarterback Hunter Hogan used his speed to gain some valuable yardage against the Beal City defense.

With 3:04 to go in the first quarter, Hogan put the Bulldogs on the board with a 7-yard touchdown run. Junior Blake Homoly hit the PAT to give Ravenna a 7-0 advantage.

Early in the second quarter, Chase Thomas intercepted a pass and gave Ravenna the ball at Beal City’s 38-yard line. The ensuing drive was all Hogan as he rushed twice for 23 yards, threw a 15-yard touchdown and converted the PAT. That gave the Bulldogs a 14-0 lead.

Ravenna scored once more with 19 seconds remaining in the first half on a 9-yard run from Drew Mabrito.

The Bulldogs went into halftime with a 21-0 lead.

Beal City came out of the break with new energy on defense. Additionally, Hunter Hogan exited the game midway through the third quarter with a hamstring injury.

The teams traded short possessions until Beal City scored off of a 35-yard touchdown reception late in the third quarter. The PAT was no good, but the Aggies were on the board, down 21-6.

Beal City added another score early in the fourth and converted the 2-point conversion to bring themselves within a touchdown of Ravenna.

After a short Bulldog drive, Beal City received the ball and marched down the field to Ravenna’s 20-yard line before being picked off by Chase Thomas. That gave Ravenna the ball with 3:43 to go in the game.

The Bulldogs could not pick up a first down and then fumbled the punt. That gave Beal City the ball on Ravenna’s 11- yard line with 2 minutes remaining. The Aggies scored three plays later, then converted the 2-point conversion to take the lead, 22-21, with 20 seconds left.

Ravenna was plagued by injuries and penalties in the second half. The Bulldogs were flagged seven times in the second half. Several players also went down with injuries.

The Bulldogs host Montague on Thursday.