The Muskegon Lumberjacks are still in the playoff hunt.

With a 4-3 win over the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the Clark Cup Playoff’s Eastern Conference Semifinals at Mercy Health Arena on Friday night, Muskegon is still full of life in the postseason.

The Lumberjacks desperately needed to secure the win over visiting Dubuque as they now travel to Dubuque for Sunday’s Game 2.

Muskegon held a commanding lead on the Fighting Saints on Friday night as it jumped out 2-0 by the midway point of the first period.

Jacob Guevin gave Muskegon a 1-0 lead off a Quinn Hutson assist. Hutson added the Lumberjacks’ second goal three minutes later on an assist from Jack Williams.

Muskegon closed out the first period with a commanding two-goal lead but Dubuque was ready to respond.

The Fighting Saints tallied their first goal of the game just 52 seconds into the second period on a Connor Kurth tally. Michael Feenstra followed up with a goal of his own four minutes later to tie the score, 2-2.

But Muskegon’s Ethan Whitcomb responded three minutes later to put the Lumberjacks up 3-2 on an Owen Mehlenbacher assist.

Holding a one-goal lead was not enough for the Lumberjacks to relax, adding the game-winning goal midway through the third period.

Jack Williams found the back of the net on a Guevin assist, giving Muskegon some breathing room and a 4-2 lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

Dubuque did not let up the pressure, getting a Lucas Ölvestad goal with five minutes left to play in the third.

The Lumberjacks stayed disciplined as they had throughout the game and did not give up any penalties in the final stretch.

Muskegon was outshot by the Fighting Saints 33-28 but goaltender Chase Clark kept the Lumberjacks in the contest making 30 saves on the night.

The Lumberjacks continued strong on the power play as they have through the playoffs. Friday night Muskegon converted two goals from four, man-advantage situations.

Muskegon can now eliminate Dubuque on Sunday at Mystique Community Ice Arena for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop. 

Check out photos from the action shot by Sondra Workman.